Hello! I have the game, but unfortunately I get 1 fps :(
Indie Dev Story
A downloadable game for Windows
Indie Developer Clicker Game
Indie Dev Story - Quit your job to become an indie developer and make your first game.
A singleplayer 'clicker' game which tries to mimic the frantic feeling of being an indie developer; make your game while trying to stay healthy, social and earning enough money to pay the bills.
- How will your game do when it releases?
- Left click or Spacebar - to perform task
- Right click to switch task (Work on Game, Sleep, Earn Money, Fitness, Social) or quick switch using keyboard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- Make sure you earn enough money to pay your bills!
- Buy more items to make your life easier
I wrote a postmortem about making the game if you are interested in development stuff: http://www.cbgamedev.com/?p=311
Patch notes V1.2
Big-old-bunch of fixes. Let me know if you find anything that doesn't work or have problems and I'll try to fix them. Balancing is going to be an ongoing thing!
- Cooked off a windows 64-bit and a 32-bit version (let me know if the 32-bit has any problems)
- You can now use "space bar" as well as left click to perform a task (also updated 'How To Play' and tutorial UI to reflect this)
- Added 'Best Score' to the main menu, which saves your best score, player name & project name. (You can delete the best score with the little button that has a bin on it)
- Think I fixed a timer issue which meant the game would run extra fast on good computers & also sometimes would break leaving you continually stuck on one day
- Adjusted UI for different resolutions. It should now scale better to work with: 1366x768, 1920x1080, 1280x800, 1152x864, 1440x900, 1280x1024, 1600x900, 1024x768, 1680x1050, 1920x1200, 1360x768, 1280x720. The game should adjust to your native screen resolution, but let me know if you have any problems or you use a resolution that I missed
- Updated/tweaked the tutorial to make it more understandable, flow better and got rid of loop holes (also increased the amount of clicks before it auto kicks off the timer)
- Tried to balance the game. Kept the same 30 day period but made each day slightly longer, adjusted the difficulty curves for clicking and increased the effect that being in a bad mood has on your end result
- Added in some analytics to help balance the game in future patches
- Optimised: Textures, Materials, UI, code, and content to try and get a better framerate
- Added new popup: When you don't have enough money to pay bills on the day they are due
- Added bobing animation to "see characters" button in character create - To draw attention to the fact that you can pick different characters looks
- Added bobing animation to "Music Changer" in the main HUD, after you buy the headphones - To draw attention to the fact that you can switch music
- Added collision behind the door so you can't accidentally fall through when friends open the door to visit you
- Fixed/adjusted it so you start at the computer and animate straight away instead of standing in the middle of the room until you fill the first bar
- Fixed a problem that would cause a black fade in/out on the end launching your game screen
- Made the mouse cursor icon line up with the point of contact more accurately
- Found a magic button when cooking that reduces the final build file size from 300mb to 171mb odd
- Think I fixed a bug which would bring up the 'Launching Game' results menu sometimes when you were in the bankrupt 'fail' screen
- Updated splash launch screen to have my twitter on it
- Fixed some misc random problems that was slowing the cooking process
- Partially fixed a problem that would stop the main character animating when you keyboard switch to the same task you are already on (Still not 100% sure why it is doing it, doesn't happen in editor)
- Swapped out some of the weaker end game comments for these new ones: "utter rubbish, pretty much 5mins of nothing", "dipshit arthouse developer trying to be "edgy" " "Loved it. Def could use some work. but still fun." "I really liked the concept, design, and aesthetics.", "I really hope you make more games in the future!", "Life changing! I no longer need Half Life 3!"
- Updated version number
Patch notes V1.1
Just a few quick fixes and tweaks:
- The tutorial now pauses the game while you play it
- Added more collision to each office, so you shouldn't be able to fall off now
- You can now use Keyboard 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to switch between specific tasks
- Updated the 'How to play' page
- Added a few more game names to the random project name generation
|Published||204 days ago|
|Release date||204 days ago|
|Tags||clicker, clicking, dev, game, indie, indie-dev-story, indie-game-dev, Singleplayer, story, Voxel|
|License||All rights reserved|
|Asset license||All rights reserved|
|Average session||A few minutes|
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $2.00 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Log in with your itch.io account to leave a comment.
Hey sorry to hear that,
I'm working on an optimisation patch at the moment. Could you give me some info about your computer setup, it would help me optimise for the next patch!
may you tell me what parts of the setup?
Your graphics card, processor and amount of ram would be useful!
Also, is it probably because I got the game before you made it so you need to buy it?
This is a great game! Very good at passing the time! Highly recommend that you buy this and give it a go!:D
I max out at 98%, always XD.
Also, it's a really nice concept, but It only lasts for a few minutes and then there is no point in replaying what so ever.
A really fun little game. It really has potential and I hope that more people find out about it. Here's my gameplay:
I CANT DO THIS.... it is too much STRESS !! PLS help me !! ( gun to head)
why did you make it one dollar i mean inless its a finished pollished game not many people are going to buy it and less people means less free play testers and less ideas for you to add i like playing a unfinished game and then leaving feedback so they can make it better but i will not pay for a game thats unfinished.
Now its $1.
But... it's a dollar. Is it really that much different from free?
Great game. Made me feel inspired to do some work. I managed to get up to 98% approval rating after a few playthroughs. I had everything maxed out though. I wonder how to get to 100%
Super fun game! Haven't played a clicker since Huniecam Studio, and was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the game.
If I had any qualms about the game, it would be how quickly the game goes by. I understand the point of the speed, but i feel as though it could have been dialed down a bit. I found myself panicking and going bankrupt on many occasions rather than making smart decisions, but i suppose that's the life of an indie developer? Anyway, loved the game, and hope to see more out of you!
Thumbs down, no servers in Australia.
Keep up the good work!
Is there any way to listen to the music without launching the game ?
It all gets packaged up during the cooking process but here are links to the songs I bought for it, you could have a listen there!:
The chill song: https://audiojungle.net/item/ambient/10679107
The Dubstep song: https://audiojungle.net/item/dubstep/15833425
The rock song: https://audiojungle.net/item/hard-rock/16934441
Played this game, couldn't get above mixed reviews! This game is relentless. O_o Pretty fun apart from the carpal tunnel that I'm developing, but I guess it's worth it. I really hope you make more games in the future!
As a person who tries to be a game developer himself, I really enjoy watching devs diaries, reading devs blogs and especially play well-made games about hard-working devs by hard-working devs (so, if you want to have a stimulus to be a hard-working dev you could just watch hard-working dev do his hard-working dev stuff, so...)
[Sorry, I just couldn't stop :D]
So, I just want to say some things about my experience with this game.
The gameplay is just hard-clicking. But it was executed very well! You're a game dev who tries to live, work out, get some money (sleep even! ) and finish his baby - his wonderful game. Oh, yeah, you even supposed to hang out with people, so, you have friends. I̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶,̶ ̶d̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶'̶e̶m̶ ̶d̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶o̶s̶e̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶d̶a̶y̶s xD
Visuals are pretty simple, because of its blocky style, but it looks really neat. It reminds me of a voxel art. I really want to bring an animation of the game on this topic. It makes half of the fun of the game because of how comedic and choppy it looks.
All SFX are cool and add to art-style, so as music. They create this tycoon game feeling!
All n all, I really like this game!
I made a video on it if you're interested in seeing real life reactions to it ;)
Its very hard to balance working, and earning money and buying stuff while making a game, but I am pleased I did well even if I live in a terrible building...haha.
Haha, "its a game developers nightmare" you made me laugh. You need to buy items on the left! I'm impressed that you managed to 72% without buying anything!
How to beat the game:
- Download and install game
- Do nothing but "Make Money"
- Go Bankrupt anyway without making ANY money
- Uninstall game
- Slag off the dipshit arthouse developer for trying to be "edgy" by making a UI that lies to you, which wasn't even all that interesting back when The Path did it.
You have now beaten Indie Dev Story!
(VULGAR LANGUAGE WARNING)
My arm hurts, my game was bad, and I need a new job.
I really liked the concept, design, and aesthetics. Gameplay timing and balance could use some tuning. Your postmortem write-up stated you were aiming for 8-minute playthroughs, but it seems I am getting through playthroughs in about 3-4 minutes instead. Could it be an issue tied to processor speed affecting game timing? If so, it's needless to say that things feel a little *too* rushed, and it's impossible to take the time to enjoy the effort you've put into the animation and visual design details.
- Runs too fast
- Mood has no effect on work efficiency (you can just ignore sleep, fitness, social and get 95% overwhelmingly positive)
- Bills are not being deducted from cash balance
- Can't type a custom name or game name at start
Hey kurib big thanks for the feedback! Just released a patch which should fix a bunch of the issues that you saw. One of the biggest was that I changed the way that I was calculating the days passed. Originally I was doing it off tick, now its done off a looping timed function which I think fixed a bunch of things! Thanks for playing!
My hand cramped so hard LOL - highest I got was 85% XD
needs to slow down time. It goees by too quick and no one can keep up or see it complete. Tbh this is a bit ironic with the review on this game lol
Loved it. Def could use some work. but still fun. wish there were more days tho
this game is utter rubbish its pretty much 5mins of nothing Game Dev Tycoon should be your inspiration for this game more time and more fun this game is a complete Uninstall factor and is the biggest waste of time and no one should ever download this unless there is a way to set how long you want your time to be hell add an unlimited mode but 30 days thats like 1min of clicking you might just be the worst developer I have ever seen try to make a game and it was good until I realised you really can't beat this if 30 days is all you get and you can't up that ammount of time to say 1000 days. Lets face it you made this game in 30days so you decided to make this game about you not about the people playing your game.
Not running on my windows 7 32 bits :v
Just released a new patch wich has a cooked a 32-bit version, hopefully that should work for you!
if you want to be a game developer you don't need any fancy software, beast computers, or extra help.
You just need an autoclicker.
Fantastic little game, intense and hilarious.
The game was awesome! The time in the game just flys by!
This was surprisingly enjoyable. Decided to do a video on it.
Hi, I need help with the game. You see, my computer cannot handle the screen resolution of the game, I would like to lower it to a manageable standard. Could anyone tell me how? I would really appreciate it.
Hey AryanR, Put out a new patch that has resolution fixes in it, should hopefully sort you out! Let me know if you still have any problems! Cheers
I liked this quite a bit. Covered it over at my channel:
I played your game, it's really cozy! Love the isometric cube artstyle. It was so very stressful the first 2 runs where so many things pop up on the screen, the time is running faster than Usain Bolt and people enter and leave your apartment as they please. I even ended trying to cheat and still lost... :D
Really liked the game though!